Sustainability in manufacturing has been a hot-button topic in recent years, but some organizations are still hesitant to make the switch. Sustainability in manufacturing goes beyond just adding green initiatives to the production process. Planning with sustainability in mind means minimizing waste and impact, but also incorporating long term profitability of an organization. Fortunately, thoughtful sustainable manufacturing is both profitable and enticing for skilled workforce. These are five of the benefits you can expect out of sustainable marketing.
5 Benefits of Sustainable Manufacturing
- Operational efficiency – Adding automation to some manufacturing processes can reduce waste and costs and improve safety and consistency. Automation can add a level of accuracy that eliminates rejected parts, saving money and adding higher specification to the process.
- Improved Reputation – The reputation of your organization can dramatically impact sales as well as how you attract skilled workers. Organizations with visible commitments to sustainability carry higher financial ratings as those without, offering greater opportunities and savings.
- Employee Satisfaction – Studies show that companies with leading sustainability programs have 55% better morale, 38% better loyalty, and 16% higher productivity rates. Workers want to feel they are important, and they want their work to matter in the industry, which includes safety and sustainability.
- Cost Savings – Adding efficiency, adopting green processes, and improving safety are all ways to build sustainability within an organization that foster a sustainable ethos in the company. The result is savings from programs like recycling, reduced accident incidents, and energy savings.
- Attract top talent – People want their work to matter and they want to be part of organizations that share common business ethics. Taking a sustainable stance attracts workers who share the same mindset.
How to Implement Sustainable Manufacturing
Sustainability in manufacturing isn’t the same implementation for everyone. Implementation begins with planning. Once determined, adding sustainability language outlining your objectives and priorities into your purpose statement or company profile. Assigning a dedicated team and implementing measurement for success and failures make the commitment more structured.
Implementing sustainable manufacturing requires a thoughtful and holistic approach to change and improvement, but if done well can spell out long term growth and profitability. Efficient Manufacturing Magazine has a guide we think is useful for pinpointing specifics on where to start: Sustainable Manufacturing: Principles, Applications and Directions
Sustainable manufacturing offers benefits beyond just the environmental impact. It also improves your company reputation and attracts top talent. Looking to fill contract, temp or ready to hire positions? Download our brochure to see how Strom Minnesota can help you find qualified candidates to fill your open positions.
Strom Minnesota is an engineering and technical recruitment agency that specializes in high-skilled job candidates for highly technical positions. We facilitate contract employment, project staffing, temp-to-perm and direct hire opportunities. Industries served include IT, engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and manufacturing. We are affiliated with Strom Engineering, a national staffing and recruitment agency.