Strom Minnesota is currently looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer for our client in St. Michael, MN.
The level 2 Mechanical Engineer leverages their technical background and experience while collaborating with engineering, technical service, and production to create new product/component designs, build CAD solid models, construct Bills of Materials (BOMs) with cost estimates, and assist with the product configuration of new orders for waterjet systems. This position is expected to support existing equipment designs and participate in executing new product development plans.
- Use engineering theory and experience to drive the design of new products, update existing products, and produce one-off modifications of current equipment.
- Collaborate with production and suppliers to improve quality and reduce cost.
- Aid in the development and/or improvement of internal processes including trade secrets.
- Assess, and where appropriate, incorporate feedback from production and service to improve product manufacturability, serviceability, cost, and longevity.
- Establish and maintain project schedules using Gantt charts, regular status meetings and other standard project management tools.
- Produce engineering drawings, Bills of Materials (BOMs), and other documents as required.
- Set up and perform Finite Element Analysis (FEA) studies to validate new designs, design changes, or assist in reverse engineering or failure analysis.
- Supervise the testing of new design concepts and assist with development of test fixtures.
- Design and run tests to validate FEA results and ensure real world product viability.
- Collaborate with sales and customers to define product and/or system specification.
- Design custom layouts and/or products that maximize the use of existing designs while also meeting approved specifications.
- Create and/or approve Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) and coordinate with production and service to develop stock disposition plans and field update kits as required.
- Update the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System based on ECOs and new releases.
- Interface with suppliers, inspection, and production to ensure parts conform to specifications.
- Sign off on Discrepant Material Reports (DMRs) and determine proper disposition of discrepant materials.
- Support other work areas, including sales, production, and technical service as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 3+ years of machine design experience.
- Knowledge of electrical systems drives and fluid power a plus.
- Strong attention to details.
- Ability to prioritize and switch between multiple tasks and/or projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Proficiency in 3D Parametric CAD
- Competent use of computers for:
- Fine Element Analysis (FEA)
- Updating Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
- Proficient in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Must have the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Facility/office is clean and well-lit.
- Full time position and must have the ability to work flexible hours and overtime when needed.
- The employee will be operating a desktop PC ~75% of the working day.
- The employee will be on the shop floor ~25% of the working day when required.
- Certain areas on the Production Floor require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which will be provided.