Strom Engineering Minnesota is currently looking for a Manufacturing Engineer for our client in Lakeville, MN.
Working in a team environment, responsible for creating, documenting, implementing, and improving machining and manufacturing processes for new, revised, and existing components. Lead continuous improvement projects to advance manufacturing quality and productivity in machining, special processes, and assembly. Ensures time studies are performed on a recurring basis, and that routers and BOMs are complete and accurate. Develops work instructions and standardized work for manufacturing processes. Champions progressive engineering disciplines throughout process and component lifecycles to include: PPAP, DOE, Process Validation (IQ, OQ, PQ), SPC, etc.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Life cycle project owner of new and existing components manufactured to meet customer requirements and specification from quoting through delivery and ongoing change requests.
Technical support resource for ongoing/day-to-day manufacturing operations and continuous improvement programs.
- Supports new component estimates throughout the quoting process to establish labor, equipment, tooling, and outside services cost estimates.
- Participates in New Component Introduction and Engineering Change Notice reviews to identify risks, resources, equipment, processes, capacity, measurements, and costs associated with product manufacturing. Project coordinator from acceptance of quote through final production. Records for evidence that realization process and resulting product meet requirements.
- Reviews and interprets associated specifications, and enters and updates the ERP system.
- Creates and maintains job routers and Bills of Material, develops approved rework procedures and work instructions.
- Plans and coordinates pre-production activities such as manufacturing reviews, checking tooling stock, and off-line setup preparation.
- Coordinates with Quality on pre-production planning and testing to resolve any non-conformances, quality, or productivity issues.
- Coordinates with Purchasing and Quality on source selection/changes, and performs cost analysis for tooling, machinery, and equipment resulting in new or improved manufacturing methods.
- Coordinates CNC programming, cutting tool selection, tool list generation, fixture design, and inspection plans with internal teams.
- Provides customer interface and expertise to proactively ensure requirements are understood and satisfied. Work collaboratively with customers to identify quality gaps, resolve corrective actions, and make improvements to meet or exceed customer expectations.
Required Skills and Experience (Minimum requirements in terms of educational background, work experience, licenses/certifications or other knowledge, skills, and abilities).
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or equivalent Technical degree with 5 plus years of relevant experience within a machined component manufacturing organization. A relevant technical, or vocational, degree / diploma with at least 3 years of experience, in a process or manufacturing engineering role within a machined component manufacturing organization will also be considered.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the interpretation and use of engineering design drawings and technical specifications to develop machining processes, procedures, and control techniques from customer design inception to final production.
- Strong knowledge of CNC machining/programming (milling, turning, Swiss), and assembly operations. Knowledge of cutting tools, fixture design, plastic and metallic materials, and coolant requirements.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects resulting in measurable improvements (continual in-process and preventative).
- Ability to identify and evaluate complex, ambiguous business problems or technical issues and provide well thought out solutions.
- Ability to quickly grasp the complexities of disparate quality issues and assist staff in solving technical issues to effectively meet customer needs.
- Proficient reading, writing, oral communication, and comprehension in English language.
- Knowledge of industrial math including arithmetic, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics.
- Knowledge and working experience with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), MRP/ERP, and CAD/CAM.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively within the organization and collaborate with internal and external clients to determine requirements and eliminate any barriers that may affect the quality and delivery of product.
Additional Skills and Experience (Preferred or helpful)
- Experience in medical or other highly regulated industry.
- Experience with ISO 13485:2016.
- Knowledge of E2 Mfg, Mastercam, SolidWorks.
- SME Certified Manufacturing Engineer or Technologist
Competitive salary, health and dental insurance, 401k, vacation, and holiday pay.