Strom Minnesota is currently looking for a Manufacturing Engineer for our client in Owatonna, MN.
Responsible for the development, characterization, and improvement of complex manufacturing processes and techniques used within Manufacturing; the position owns the development and implementation of process and product level work instructions and plays a key role in training the personnel using them; provides day-to-day technical support to Manufacturing and works as a liaison between Manufacturing & the Product Development Team throughout all product development phases.
Results Statement: (The result expected from this position)
Cost effective, reliable, and safe manufacturing processes, workmanship standards, and technology and knowledge properties.
- Function as the key person responsible for developing detailed Work Instructions for manufacturing processes and product assembly.
- Play a key role in supporting the manufacturing production area in implementation and training of personnel in the use of Work Instructions for manufacturing processes and product assembly.
- Provide the highest-level technical support to Manufacturing operations and work as a liaison between Manufacturing & the Product Development Team.
- Seek design for manufacturability as a key participant on G4M product development projects.
- Participate with the Product Development Team, the OFF Team, the Materials Team, and Accounting in identifying and implementing cost reduction efforts associated with current products and components.
- Achieve cost reductions through alternative manufacturing practices, tooling and equipment alternatives, and process simplification.
- Propose opportunities and organize and lead cost reduction team initiatives as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with the OFF Team, Product Development Team, and Materials Team groups to select material, process, and design alternatives.
- Assume a leadership role in manufacturing process technology development and process enhancement/development initiatives.
- Support Production Supervisors in their efforts to reduce labor costs and rework and scrap costs
- Propose project scope and deliverables
- Execute project plans
- Oversee the perpetuation and integrity of Manufacturing Standards and Best Practices.
- Prepare Engineering Change Order (ECO) actions related to change proposals.
- Train others on the use and maintenance of the knowledge base.
- Conduct research as appropriate to enhance the value of the data and tools.
- Attend professional conferences, seminars, and trade shows to assess technological status, discover new industry developments, and acquire specific technological training.
- Lead formal corrective actions on failures seeking system change to address the root cause.
- Participate in design for manufacturability (DFM) brainstorming sessions as part of the G4M product development process.
- Occasionally will coordinate or lead DFM activities to improve product and process reliability.
- Act as a technical resource for manufacturing and the OFF Team providing explanations and answers, troubleshooting, and other technical assistance as necessary or requested.
- Participate in Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) activities and resultant ECO or prototype/design modification actions.
- Initiate and lead FMEA activities focused on process reliability and process safety.
- Daily verbal reporting on open issues
- Weekly reporting of project status, and
- Monthly reporting on status of department objectives.
Position-Specific Standards: (Quality, productivity, timeliness, cost, customer service, safety, and behavior)
Measurable Work Standards:
- Performance to project schedules
- Cost reductions proposed and realized
- Mistake-proof processes resulting in injury rate reduction, warranty issues reduction, warranty cost reduction, and manufacturing problem reduction. FMEA actions result in decreased process failures and improved workplace safety.
- FMEA actions result in improvements in safety record and product safety.
Qualifications: (Entry level education, experience, and capabilities for acceptable candidates)
- S.M.E. degree, or a B.S. degree with a concentration of coursework in Industrial Technology, Industrial Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering; Masters Degree highly desirable.
- Minimum of three years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of experience and advanced engineering education required.
- Strong training, understanding and experience in modern manufacturing techniques, i.e. Lean, 5S, Constraint Theory Management, Six Sigma.
- Strong, multi-year experience in New Product Introduction.
- Familiar with a wide range of fabrication processes and manufacturing processes associated with a system level final assembly and test facility; outsourcing experience preferred.
- Must have experience with process capabilities studies.
- Experience in capital appropriation evaluation and analysis.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable concerning mechanical principles, machining practices, the properties of metals, and the application of mathematics and dimensions to production machinery and tooling
- Knowledgeable concerning modern fabrication and assembly techniques and machine-shop practices and techniques.
- Able to mentally visualize and comprehend all aspects of a manufacturing process problem, understand the interrelationships of factors affecting a given situation, and be attentive to detail.
- Capable of efficiently integrating existing methods with new innovations to economically solve production problems in a timely manner.
- Must possess the ability to work with a broad range of internal and external organizations and have a strong bias towards customer satisfaction and working in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively train and provide feedback to other team members.
- Strong knowledge and experience in supply chain principles and practices.
- Experience in New Product Introduction activities.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex customer specification documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical and engineering concepts.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, and correlation techniques.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrated computational skills involving higher level math including calculus, algebra and trigonometry, and statistical methods including regression analysis and quality charts.
- Demonstrated abilities in print reading, and interpretation and application of dimensioning and tolerancing including tolerance analysis.
- Abilities interpreting and applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Skill at effectively instructing or persuading is a regular requirement.
- Has initiative and is able to work effectively with little direction and/or few guidelines.
- High work commitment and standards of excellence.
- A desire to achieve team results and continuous improvement.
- A desire to learn and grow professionally.
- Physical Requirements:
- This position involves a variety of sitting, standing, walking, bending, and reaching.