Strom Minnesota is currently looking for a Product Design Engineer for our client in Maple Lake, MN.
The Product Design Engineer is responsible for creating a product design that fulfills a company or customer’s strategic goals while integrating the needs of both sales and manufacturing, while also maintaining communication with the entire team to ensure a product’s success throughout the entire life cycle.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, evolve, and maintain product design and integrity throughout entire product lifecycle.
- Draft new designs and complete detailed 3D modeling/drawings using direction from the Owner and the Sales Team to design for manufacturability and fit/form/function.
- Support the Sales Team with 3rd party customers in design for manufacturability, design reviews and give feedback of design improvements for efficiency and/or higher quality parts.
- Participate in first article production and first article approval meetings to confirm a part meets fit/form/function spec as the original design plan requested.
- Work with R & D to test parts and validate the part’s capabilities.
- Create/maintain the file infrastructure for proprietary and 3rd party models and prints on the network so they are organized and easily recalled.
- Create and route ECO paperwork to issue new part numbers and create BOMs for all IQMS needs including but not limited to molding, secondary operations, assembly, outsourced, and customer supplied.
- Maintain open and extensive communication with manufacturing, sales, R & D, and all affected departments to ensure a project stays on time and has a smooth go-to-market timeline.
- Use problem solving and communication skills to work with manufacturing and quality to troubleshoot issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Engineering, or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Proficient with CAD software, Solidworks preferred
- Experience with MS Office applications preferred
- Experience with building and maintaining file infrastructures
- Experience with purchasing, expediting, MRP/ERP systems, quality/continuous improvement initiatives, and/or manufacturing safety practices.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid analytical skills.
- Self-motivated. Ability to complete tasks with minimum supervision.
- Extremely detail oriented
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Regularly required to sit or stand for extended periods of time and move about the facility. Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, fumes and odors.