Support continuous improvement for manufacturing processes in the areas of safety, quality, throughput and cost. Coordinates activities of engineering, tool design, purchasing, and other departments, to develop efficient systems, processes and machines. Ensures that projects, goals, and objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the duties listed below.
As a member of the Engineering team, this position is expected to:
- Lead by example to support the company’s culture and values.
- Collaboratively work with other functional disciplines to support a culture of accountability, mutual respect, and teamwork.
- Perform the responsibilities of the position following the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Work in accordance with applicable QMS procedures.
- Develop, implement, and support systems to achieve cost reductions, quality and safety improvements, productivity increases, inventory reductions, and service improvements.
- Analyze and plan work force utilization, space requirements, workflow, and design layouts of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Research, justify, procure, and implement new technology to maximize quality, throughput and profitability
- Confer with production and design teams on product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods on existing product and new product launches.
- Manage the manufacturing development and implementation of preproduction projects.
- Collaborate with vendors, Procurement and Engineering to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluate products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Identify process and component changes to improve the value and performance of standard product and improve manufacturability.
- Estimate production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
- Confer with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, make vs. buy decisions, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Set up new or modify existing parts in ERP system, including, but not limited to, item masters and BOMs.
- Confer with Project Engineer to determine design modifications required for configured product
- Create an Engineering Change Order (ECO) to document design release or implement changes to the product design. This activity includes CAD changes & information updates in the ERP system
- Create spreadsheets, charts & graphs to analyze statistical data.
- Proficiently use CAD software platform (INVENTOR & 2D AutoCAD)
- Examine part specifications to determine tool requirements and special materials or items to be ordered.
- Prepares requisitions for items to be purchased.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working knowledge of, and experience in working with metal; including welding, primarily steel, and aluminum.
- Basic knowledge of performance characteristics of wood, i.e., plywood, particleboard.
- Basic understanding of the performance characteristics of plastics to include, i.e., molding, structural strength, the process of manufacturing.
- Experience with ISO 9000, experience with ISO 14000 is a plus.
- Basic computer skills with good working knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel, plus other pertinent software programs. CAD experience would also be a plus.
- Understanding of and experience in working with JIT, Cellular & Lean Manufacturing, Six-sigma, and statistical analysis.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Prefer a degree in an Engineering discipline, however other degrees would be acceptable if the candidate has demonstrated successful experience in the manufacturing area of a company.
- No Less than 5 years of proven successful factory experience.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, managerial and financial management documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect and interpret data to draw a valid conclusion.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proper waste disposal. (Understanding of hazardous waste procedures)
- Maintenance of grounds, including fire protection, (sprinklers, ventilation, electrical, roof, parking lot, security).
- Maintenance of production assets.
- Understanding and meeting OSHA requirements.
- Factory safety and health issues, ergonomics.